RE: Jaws version needed for Windows 7

  • From: "D!J!X!" <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 03:46:52 -0400

I'd say jaws 11 would be the best 1 for windows 7, jaws10 has issues with
the sys tray, calculator,  explorer, the start menu and other items which
when added up do get annoying. Many were improved or sort of fixed in 11,
hoping for 12 to be better.
Regarding jaws x64, jaws10 was the first release which included x64 support.
Also, the starting up twice, once at login and again when the desktop is
loaded is a behaviour that I've noticed on windows7 and vista, I think it
has to do with the new way that these newer OS handle logins. I've used jaws
9 and 10 on vista and noticed this behaviour, and used 10 and 11 on win7 and
also have noticed this behaviour.
The issue with UAC is not specific to jaws only, if you use narrator with
windows you'll notice that any time UAC prompts are displayed narrator
actually locks up and restarts, I don't think it's necessarily a crash
restart, but again, more of the way that the new systems are handled.
Perhaps uac prevents any type of program actions/interaction to avoid the
overiding of a uac prompt by malware etc. So I wouldn't attribute the
locking up on a uac prompt to jaws as I've noticed it elsewhere.

Regards, D!J!X!