Jaws and Java

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:38:48 -0600

Hi folks,

I know this has been asked, one form or another, on this list before, but my
team and I are looking to gain direct control over the JAWS synthesizer in
our tools, including telling it to stop speaking, or start speaking, through
the standard JAWS synthesizer. I've read up a little bit, and people seem to
say it has something to do with a file eci.dll, but a set of google searches
hasn't turned up any obvious documentation --- and I'm not positive this is
the right path.

To be clear, we don't want to distribute the JAWS voices, we just want to
interact with an existing installation of JAWS that someone has installed on
their machine. So, basically, if we want to take control of JAWS, through
C++ (or Java, preferably ---through JNI if we have to), what is the easiest
way to do it? Does anyone have any good links to documentation on the
various DLL's and how you connect? Is this a job for a simple JAWS script?

Andreas Stefik, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville