Re: Java Deprecated on Mac

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 14:30:54 -0500

Elf and others,

Yaa, that's what we're trying to figure out how to do. The problem is
that, in the NetBeans platform, the yellow lightbulbs and code
completion windows don't actually accept or fire focus or property
change events, because the editor maintains focus so the user can
type. Further, NetBeans stores these in separate subsystems, and we
haven't found any obvious way to force it to inform us when those
windows appear programmatically.

Now, there is one exception. When we write code completion utilities
for a custom language, we can be informed when those fire. So,
realistically, there must be some way to tap into that for other,
arbitrary languages, in NetBeans, maybe through some kind of module
registration or lookup service. But how to do it, on a technical
level, is still a bit of a mystery to us. Our best guess right now is
that a service architecture is going to have to be written into
NetBeans source directly, which can then inform us when such windows
are present.

Anyway, the technical details have been surprisingly difficult for
this one. Who knows, we could be missing something obvious :)

Stefik