RE: Is there a program that will help you create Sapi5 voices?

  • From: "Lloyd Rasmussen" <lras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 18:55:42 -0400

The Eloquence that comes with JAWS and the ViaVoice that comes with Kurzweil
do not use SAPI 4 or 5.  The Eloquence that comes with Window-Eyes is SAPI
4, and I have heard that there never was an Eloquence for SAPI 5.  I had no
trouble getting Window-Eyes to select and use Espeak from its list of SAPI
synthesizers.  So you may have been running into a limitation of JAWS or of
the way SAPI synthesizers are enumerated.  And the Control Panel Speech.cpl
applet can set a default SAPI 5 synthesizer, which I think affects Narrator
as well as other programs.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls