RE: Is linex better than Windows? was Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:33:11 -0400

The amazing thing about MS Vista released in 2007 is that it is considered
so bad by some people that they are, for the first time ever, taking a hard
look at GNU/Linux and Macintosh - both pretty much based on UNIX clone
(Linux and BSD) kernels, technology that K&R rolled out back in the 1970s.
Has Vista really set the state of desktop technology back 30 years <laugh>?

I am actually one of the people on this list who does have a reasonably
decent experience with Vista.  My RSI issues have been documented for a very
long time and Vista's built-in speech recognition is as good as or better
than recent versions of Dragon.  JAWS works poorly with Vista speech
recognition but System Access does a great job, I haven't tried Window-Eyes
yet.

So, on my Vista box, when running JAWS (not so good with the speech
recognition stuff but, when using the scripts developed by this gang really
good in VS) I can say the first couple of letters of a bit of code and then
let Intellisense handle the rest.  This cuts down enormously on the wear and
tear on my hands and let's me work for longer periods at a time.