Re: Is linex better than Windows? was Re: JFW keymap like orca keymap?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:26:43 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Nimer Jaber wrote:

First, I found that I was not able to access administrative tasks using the GUI. I don't know Linux command prompt, so I was using the GUI. I got

Read a howto on the cli.
Its not too hard.

instructions on editing some file to make myself root or administrator or whatever. That never worked for me. So, because I couldn't access the OS and

Please explain? You used sudo? Or you tried running orca as "root" user?

configure it to my liking, I went to uninstall it and run windows. I found my

Well you could you just needed to take a few minutes to do some quick research.

computer unusable because there was something called Grub that was still on my machine. So, I had to get something to edit the MBR. I finally got it

Grub is a very good bootloader.
I would have thought you would try the livecd before trying to install/use it?

fixed, after about a month of messing around with boot disks. However, should I have had to do that? Everyone talks about accessibility. Is this with the GUI, because I don't think it is.

Well the gui is very accessible I think and the cli is fantastic.
Maybe not very for the gui, but its getting there...

Another thing. Firefox 2 support is terrible. So, I attempted to install firefox 3. I figured that if I can get a sighted individual to assist me with administrative tasks, I would at least have an accessible OS. I was not able to install firefox 3, even though I was following directions on the site.

Why not just download a precompiled binary and run that?

So, I don't recommend that anyone install Linux until bugs, serious bugs get worked out. I should not have to edit some file to give me administrative privileges to be able to run my administrative tasks such as updating or

You must read...
And yes you should have too, otherwise everyone can do admin tasks...
Hopefully that bug can be fixed soon in orca, but if you learnt the cli it would not be an issue.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>