Re: Is Visual C++ Accessible - Was: C++ and I are getting divorced.

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 10:29:58 -0400

I'll call the local FBI office over in Tampa and turn myself in for suggesting that people might use ebay, the world's largest and most profitable fencing operation, to get software in a manner. you consider dishonest. I suppose this is equal to inciting civil disobedience or some other first amendment right protected by our constitution.

Maybe you should first concern yourself with the actual illegal false statements made in the VPATs of proprietary software vendors to get their software included in the GSA schedule that claim their software is accessible when it is nearly impossible to use with any known access technology. This is an actual crime as it is intended to mislead federal government procurement officials and ensure that your tax dollars are spent on software that government employees with disibalities cannot use no matter what 508 says. These actual crimes result in millions of dollars of our national wealth being taken by illegitimate false advertising. I would recommend, therefore, that you contact the AG office and discuss this absolute scandal with them.

Anyone who uses ebay to buy anything may be buying stolen goods, illegally copied materials or items that in some other way were obtained illegally by the seller. Do you suggest that ebay be shut down for ignoring that it facilitates the sale of stolen goods? Is it legitimate for ebay to say, "we didn't know it was stolen?" and go on happily selling designer clothing that some employee stole from the stockroom at Saks?

To clarify: I do not use any proprietary software that I did not obtain legitimately. There is not a single byte of ill begotten information on any computer I own or use. I will admit to sharing an mp3 with a friend now and then but never giving out or accepting anything beyond that.

I was being sarcastic in my note suggesting we all claim to be students to point out some of the silliness I perceive in the world of US copyright law. I had hoped the irony of a person using ebay to steal from Microsoft would have been obvious but I suppose subtlety isn't too good in email.

Enjoy,
cdh