RE: Is GUI Programming Worth While for Visually Impaired Coders?

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 23:07:25 -0400

I think my argument only diverts from your view and Nicks in that I never
said a blind person can't do it.  I have done it on my own as far back as
1992 in school.  My point is that even with Homer I am slower than a sighted
person who can layout an entire applications GUI's in less than 30 minutes.
So sure if you're not in a job where your competing against another sighted
coder who can get the job done in exponintionally faster time than you your
fine.  I still feel if you are writing large applications with a time
component to release you really need a graphics arts person to do it.  And
they are a dime a dozen.

This doesn't mean you can't create your own code and release it on either
IPhone or Android markets, that or sell your own software to the public
without a  sighted person involved.  It just means that in certain jobs you
can forget doing GUI's because you are just too slow.  In those same jobs
though I have found that doing the back  end code I can focus much more on
algorithms under the hood when I have a sighted person building the GUI

Ken