Re: Is Apex Accessible

  • From: "Brent Neal" <bneal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:03:47 -0600

Thank You for the information.  Let me know if you find out anything else on
Apex or what you do to work around it.  Here at work they are going to have me
work with a sighted programmer to see if we can figure out a way to use it
enough to do my assigned projects.

>>> "Eileen Lafond" <Eileen.Lafond@xxxxxxxxxxx> 10/30/2008 9:50 AM >>>
Sorry, all I know is the information that Oracle sent us.

Eileen La Fond
Phone (206) 386-0011
e.mail Eileen.LaFond@xxxxxxxxxxx

>>> "Brent Neal" <bneal@xxxxxxxx> 10/30/2008 7:10 AM >>>
Hi Eileen,
Do you know if it works good enough with JAWS to work with at all?  If not is
there a different  good way to do the same type of projects?

>>> "Eileen Lafond" <Eileen.Lafond@xxxxxxxxxxx> 10/29/2008 3:23 PM >>>
I don't know if Application Express is what you are talking about, but my
co-workers are going to training for it. My supervisor sent a message
to Oracle asking if it is accessible and that I use JFW.  We got the following
answer:

What I found is some features in Oracle Application Express 3.0: Developing
Web Applications Ed 2 PRV requires the functionality provided by the XMLHTTP
(AJAX) and/or DHTML scripting languages, which means that screen readers may
not properly interpret screen updates.  Because of extensive use of these
two scripting languages, the SQL Workshop module is not coded to meet
applicable Section 508 standards.  This being the case Jaws for Windows is
not compatible with Oracle Application Express 3.0: Developing Web
Applications Ed 2 PRV.

Eileen La Fond
Phone (206) 386-0011
e.mail Eileen.LaFond@xxxxxxxxxxx

>>> "Brent Neal" <bneal@xxxxxxxx> 10/29/2008 2:10 PM >>>
Today I was told by my manager that they want me to work on an Oracle database
using Apex, formerly known as HTMLDB.  Does anyone know if Apex (HTMLDB) is
accessible with JAWS?  If so do you need the java accessbridge installed to use
it?