RE: Is Android Programming Accessible?

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:34:21 -0700

Hi Brian,
That's all right. The trend (I think) is more and more integrated device
i.e. a phone that acts like a computer and perform almost the same task as
one. These days, the specs of some of the high-end devices (including
Android-based ones) has at least a Gigahertz processor, so it can be
confused as though it is a phone - after all, cell phones are a special kind
of computers themselves, which is the reason why I chose it as my main focus
for studying CS.
In terms of OS: think of Android as a special version of Linux phone -
although it runs on top of Linux 2.6 kernel, Google (now Open Handset
Alliance) has modified it to fit mobile use. Java is used since Android uses
a virtual machine on top of Linux kernel called Dalvik for running
processes. Multitasking of Java apps are possible since all the OS needs to
do is run another instance of Dalvik with it running another app in it.
I think Alex H., ken, sina and Tyler would have better info than I have (I'm
mostly into reading things and on windows CE)...
Cheers,
Joseph