RE: Is Android Programming Accessible?

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 20:00:26 -0400

Not like the one in swing no but they do have accessible events that all the
current screen readers use like talksback and spiel.  if you use common
controls they just work but if you do something special you will have to
throw events.  In fact even getting static text to talk you have to throw
events.  that's one of the problems with the OS right now static text does
not talk for example if you do the very basic hello world it won't talk
without help.  It will say the title of the dialog but not what's in the
static text.  Google is working on things but for now coders need to make
sure to look through the core java stuff and read the accessible_info events
and a good place to learn to do it is in view.java in the main frameworks.

Ken