Re: Is Android Programming Accessible?

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 21:29:30 -0400

Yes, I did a semester of android programming and I am blind. I used
Edsharp as my text editor
(http://www.empowermentzone.com/edsetup.exe), Ant to compile, and the
command line to test and run things. The only stumbling block, aside
from what you run into trying to understand the Android programming
concepts themselves, will be the initial setup of your emulator. You
will have to have a sighted person enable Talkback, then you will need
to use the keyboard to find out what does what. There is a list of
emulator keystrokes, but I am not sure where it is, I found it through
a forum somewhere. The other potential problem is with the
SensorSimulator program; it is not accessible, so, if you plan to test
things like the accelleromoter (I hate spelling that word) you will
need a sighted person to set up the program and manipulate it.

To create a new project, I recommend making a bat file that you edit
with the new information just before creating your project. I also
recommend putting a folder called "android" or "android apps" (or
something like that) on the root of your hard drive, then creating
each project you do in a subfolder of this folder. I say this because
you will have to cd into the folder a lot, so the shorter the path to
the project the better. If you have questions, let me know and I will
try to answer them.

On 7/29/10, Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm relatively new to Android land as well, but from what I've done so
> far, yes, it's accessible depending on your experience.
>
> Android comes with a variety of development tools; there's, as you
> mentioned, a plugin for Eclipse to help streamline the development
> experience (auto generated project files).
>
> However, all of this can be done by hand via the Android SDK using
> command line tools.  One can also specify UI elements within an
> AndroidManifest xml file.
>
> The learning curve isn't too bad as long as you are fairly comfortable
> with exploring the technology stack (from the tools, to the SDK, to
> the application concepts such as intents, broadcasts, services, etc.
> and finally to managing a real device such as flashing, rooting,
> etc.).
>
> Hth.
>
> On 7/29/10, David Engebretson Jr. <d.engebretson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I asked the same question a week back or so and didn't get a response.
>> Maybe we'll need to explore it together.  try eyesfree.google.com
>>
>> cheers,
>> david
>>
>> David Engebretson Jr., CTO Peace Weaver Hosting
>> Need web hosting?
>> Come visit us at PeaceWeaverHosting.com

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)