Re: Introducing PDF2OCR and seeking testers

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:44:12 -0700

Ghostscript's default resolution is, I believe, 72 dpi, which,
obviously, is unsuitable 4 any type of OCR.

Experimentation w/resolution should occur, as well as using
grey-scale--I have found this can sometimes produce remarkably better
results, especially w/pdf files.

Having said all that, I've experimented w/some of these free OCR tools
& have found them basically about as useful as toabh.  It's too bad,
too, cuz these OCR packages r, imo, very over-priced.

On 9/13/07, Martin Slack <m.g.slack@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Peter,
>
>   The application Microsoft Office Document Imaging is part of Microsoft
> Office Tools.  However it is set up to handle tiff images, so to operate on
> pdf it is necessary to copy the document to the clipboard, then paste it
> into Document Imaging.
>
>   Sending the document to Word then automatically runs it through an OCR
> engine, in this case not very successfully.  Jamal's typed document image
> gives a Word file with one or two words per line recognisable as English.
>
>   hth
>
> Martin

Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at: