Re: Indentation Griping...

  • From: "Bob J." <rjustice004@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:57:18 -0800

Isn't this horse dead yet?

----- Original Message -----
From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: Indentation Griping...

If you use indentation to structure your program (as in python), how do you
jump from one statement (such as a while loop) to the end of its nested
block?
What does edSharp do in such a situation? For this reason I also prefer
block delimiters for navigating a program. But having been a partially
sighted programmer I know how important indentation is to sighted persons.
I relied on it heavily, and in fact, looking at indentation alone I fixed a
number of logic bugs in which the block delimiters didn't match the
indentation in the program -- the problem was with the wrong placement of
the braces, not an indentation slippup.  So you could say it was a DWIM
fix -- "do what I mean" (as shown in the indentation), not what the code
says.
Indentation is there for spatial layout to give a feel for the high level
structure of the code.  The more intuitors you can work into the program
source, the liss likely a bug will sneak in.
Happy hacking.
--le