Re: I feel like giving up on programming altogether!

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:46:13 -0500

Hi again -- I can top that horror story -- you can't always trust what your
instructor gives you -- in a graduate class, the professor teaching it wrote
the central part of a large virtual machine and our assignment was to write
a mini compiler for it. Problem was, he gave the assignment out, then said
he would be gone for 2 weeks, but told us where everything was. There was a
serious bug in his part of the code.  What was more, I was the first to
discover it, and so it fell to me to fix his code so the class could do
their assignments.  I never could figure out if this prof really did this on
purpose.  When he came back and we told him what happened, he blew it off by
saying "oh, sorry...next we'll be talking about ..."
It was kind of fun to be a class hero for a while.
I don't think I'm quite as curious of a hacker now.
--le