Re: I feel like giving up on programming altogether!

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:07:02 -0500

well, they say a program is always twice as hard to debug as it is to write,
so if the smartest person in the world writes the most complex system, there
is no one smart enough to debug it.
Sorry. It's normal to get errors. The compiler errors you get from the
compiler actually help you avoid more difficult runtime bugs, which are
harder to understand and to locate where things start going wrong. So you
should be glad for a strict compiler.
One important rule of thumb: Do not read error messages from the bottom
up -- start at the top, since errors at the start of a problem (like a typo
or a missing argument) can confuse the compiler into reporting bogus errors
later. Generally only the first few error messages are valid.
I'd say take heart.  Everyone serious about mastering computers has spent
sleepless nights hacking and debugging.  If that sounds unbearable, then
perhaps a different major is in order.  (I just spent a stupid sleepless
night this week on something that turned out not to be necessary. On the one
had, I'm glad it works, but on the other hand I am plain upset.  But that's
programming.)
Happy hacking.
--le