Re: I feel like giving up on programming altogether!

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:59:56 -0400

Ya Ken. When folks ask what to use to learn I use to recommend Liberty Basic. That was a simple NotePad type editor and built in translator using some simple VB code, not .net. The folks at LB were working on building an IDE so I don't know what it is like anymore. But we use to be able to access system dlls using that language and do a few other things. Using a simple c compiler and something like NotePad would be pretty much the same but give you allot more upside. As for the Engineer / Programmers, they are well versed in problem solving technicals and only had to learn to translate solutions into computer syntax to use the tools for the job. Also, since Programming is quite mathamatical at heart they were in a good position to extend their learning through technical documents, books and Post Grad Training sessions. The point being that some fellow who does not have a solid technical background and some basic problem solving skills would have a very dificult time trying to learn to become what you would consider a Professional Programmer, and I am quite sure about that. I did not say it was impossible, just extremely unlikely.

Rick USA.