Re: I feel like giving up on programming altogether!

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:19:24 -0700

Echoing much of what everyone else has said.  Jes, keep going with it;
we've all been there after all.

I will say from my own experiences that coding involves a few
different subjects combined in a new and creative way.  Coding is
learning a language and it's also fairly logical/mathematical.  I
remember wrestling with Borland Turbo C++ and having much grief trying
to print out a hello world message in the console.

I don't think I really understood what I was doing until my
undergraduate years where you get to learn how the readable "code"
gets transformed into instructions executed by a CPU.  That alone
pulls together topics from compilers, operating systems, discrete
math/logic, and many other subjects.  I would recommend reading a few
wikipedia articles to get a feel for the richness behind computing and
that program you're writing.

Hth and feel free to send more messages to keep all of us updated!