Re: Here I Am Open Source Screen Reader Project

Hello,
I like the idea of open source. Then, people can work with it, make changes, etc. If this is free, and you're willing to share, this would be my idea of the best approach. I'd also recommend SVN or CVS, to manage your code. This can be done for development, and redistribution both.

Something for cross platform, that I was thinking about before.
Each OS will need hooks, and etc in the kernel, drivers, or what ever. There might be other ways of catching the video, but on windows, I can think of putting in a hook. This means, that even though, say you write this in c/c++, if you write pure ansi or iso, you're still going to have to either: 1. find some libraries to do what you want that are cross platform, which will present the same problem.
or:
2. Write multiple versions of the reader for different operating systems. Target which ones you want, and write. I'd suggest starting from say windows, or linux.
Concentrate on 1.
Then, you can port, and you'll have large chunks of code to use.

If you're going the cross-platform routine, here is my suggestion for a language.

I recommend c, or c++, because of the capabilities. It will be fast, portable, and is low level so you can do what you wish with it.

You may also wish to combine this with perl, python, or another higher level light-weight programming language that is also cross platform.

This will save you coding time, as well as making it easier to implement some functionality into the reader.
If you wish to contact me, info is below.
I would like to help out with this project.

I'm currently in school, so my contributions will be limited, what with other projects that are currently in progress.
HTH,
Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield.
Vertigo head coder
"My programs don't have bugs, just randomly added features."
msn: compgeek134@xxxxxxxxxxx
email: compgeek13@xxxxxxxxx
aim: st8amnd2005