RE: Helping a friend start up a web based business

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:56:08 -0600

Eunice and Jared,
Thanks to the 2 of you for the productive feedback and web references! I
will certainly check these out. At this point, I'm not nearly as
concerned over what language to use (I've developed with ASP, JSP,
servlets before there was JSP, and Rails). I want to explore the domain
and hosting options, help this person put together a business model to
work off of, and develop some type of strategy around marketing
practices, transaction flow, and customer support. I'll certainly take
the various technical aspects into consideration at the points where
they are applicable, but the choice of website technology is only one of
a wide number of factors at this stage.

I'm sorry to have not been logged in since posting the question on
Friday. This enquiry was strictly intended to serve as a request for
feedback by those on the list whom I know have been down this road and
might be able to offer some pointers as Jared and Eunice have done. Lets
please drop this whole flaming thread and get back to the business of
programming and technology. I welcome any additional constructive info
anyone has to offer but lets drop the personal attacks and act like
professionals please!