Re: Help us make programming by voice possible in Linux

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:04:14 -0700

Hi, Stefik.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not an expert on voice input for programming, but I know the
> researcher Andrew Begel did some work on this a few years back in
> Java. Any connection here in any of these tools?

He worked on some cool stuff while at Berkeley, but like many
university projects, his Spoken Java does not seem to have gained
traction.  Andrew now appears to work for Microsoft, and hopefully he
can contribute to accessibility there.

> We've also considered adding voice support into Sodbeans, our FOSS
> tool for blind users. If we wanted to hook in to experiment with, how
> difficult is it to incorporate some of these existing tools?

The current tools, VEDICS and Simon, are at a state that isn't really
quite usable, but which show clearly how close they are.  I would
guess that it's a good time to get programmers with typing impairments
involved, so we can guide these projects in a good direction.  I would
wait until there is a bit more infrastructure in place before hooking
into it.

Bill