RE: Good resource for beginning programmers

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:51:06 -0500

Hi,
You can make all of the languages we talked about so far work anywhere. But
what you want to think about is that languages were created, usually, to have
strengths at doing certain kinds of things. For example, Perl was originally
created to manipulate text. PHP was originally created to handle the
interactions between web browsers and web server software. SQL was created
specifically to get data into and out of relational databases. I believe that C
and C++ were originally created to handle tasks more closely related to running
computers. I guess is kind of like saying that if you want to be a doctor, you
have to learn how doctors talk, even they talk in your native language. And
maybe I need coffee before I start spewing out more inaccurate information.

Jim

Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility blog. Discuss accessibility here.