Re: Good resource for beginning programmers

  • From: Christopher <ccoale427@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:27:54 -0800

C# and Java (I don't know about J#) are both compiled and are both -programming languages-. They are -not- interpreted. Yes, you are right, C# (like most .net languages) are compiled down into MSIL. However, that MSIL is compiled into raw machine code on the target machine when executed. Even though there is a runtime (the CLR), the code itself is not being interpreted.

Python and Perl can be -packed- into an executable. They are not compiled. The interpreter is packed into the executable along with the script (or maybe the generated bytecode), but it is still interpreted.
On 11/17/2010 4:14 PM, Ken Perry wrote:
I think the line has blurred though.  What do you call VB, C# J# etc.  You
could say they are compiled but wait they are only compiled to ILASM which
is a stack based scripting language that runs under .net and mono.  What
about python and Perl that both can be compiled into an executable?

Ken