Re: Getting hold of/accessing certain wxPython elements when using LBC

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:54:44 -0400

Since the wx module has been imported, any wx components can be instantiated using normal wxPython syntax. At this time, however, Lbc is mainly designed for creating dialogs, so there is no Lbc-specific syntax for wxFrame, etc.

I think Q's GUI components package, on the other hand, does support wxFrame and menus, so it may be worth investigating if that is important (and you want to avoid native wxPython).

Jamal

On 8/30/2011 5:35 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
Ok, while dlg.SetStatus works fine, still just wondering if there's an easy
way to, currently obtain access/an instance of the Frame object, in order
to assign a menuBar to it, etc.?

Thanks for a very nice LBC object in any case...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 05:00:04 -0400, Jamal Mazrui<empower@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Lbc wraps the wxDialog rather than the wxFrame class.  I was also
surprised to discover that wxDialog does not support a status bar
natively, so Lbc creates one with a label control.  The SetStatus
instance method of a dialog may be used to set the text of its status
bar (pass a single parameter consisting of the string of text to be
displayed).

In the future, I would like to wrap the wxFrame class as well.
Initially, wxDialog was significantly easier because it does not require
a wxPanel control layer between the parent window and the child controls.

Jamal

On 8/30/2011 3:04 AM, Jacob Kruger wrote:
While definitely quite happy with using layoutByCode in python to render
most general controls on a dialogue, etc., I specifically want to be
able
to manually set the status bar text/content, and to be able to add a
menu
to the dialogue/window as well, and the wx.Frame object has the
necessary
methods/functionality, and I would have assumed that the pretty standard
LBC dlg object would effectively be a wx.Frame object, but doesn't seem
want to let me make use of it as such, etc.

That is when I try something like the following:
myFrame = wx.Frame(dlg) #but anyway

Any thoughts, off hand, on how to gain access to the window's frame
object,
or have I missed finding some LBC specific functionality/methods for
assigning menu bars and status bar text?

TIA

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker