Fw: data grid view tool in visual basic 2008 express

  • From: "Marvin Hunkin" <startrekcafe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:17:28 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ricks Place" <OFBGMail@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: data grid view tool in visual basic 2008 express

My guess would be that they use cells to display the DataGridView's fields.
The same problems we encountered using non absolute column size
specifications for the TableLayoutPanel's cells is causing the problems
reading the DataGridView.  I don't have time to build a  Test DataBase, set
up a project and explore the DataGridView for accessibility techniques.  A
script written in JAWS or Windoweyes scripting language might make it
accessible if programmers ever get time to develop them.  I have had no luck
using the functions of dropping tables on a form to auto generate the
Navigation control with attendant DataGridView either. It worked some but I
found it faster to just design and generate my own layouts and code to
handle these things. Thus I have nothing that might help you with this. As
with Form Layout this would be another good project for a team to analyze
and develop scripts to make the DataGridView totally accessible but I sure
do not have time for that and have only developed 1 jaws script in my life.
A project to make Visual Studio and Microsoft Controls accessible would be a
major Project. The folks who developed the free jaws scripts did a good job
working around some of the fundemental problems like the Forms Editor and
the Code Editor but there is still much to do with DataGridViews and some of
the other Designers and Wizards. I'm pretty sure they have moved on to other
things, they have to make a living. Some day a team may build some scripts
and plug in modules that make Visual Studio better but I am guessing that
would be a professional staff and they would be quite costly because of the
scope of the project and the constant maintenance requirements. That's why I
have not dug into it, I would have to sell the package for hundreds of
dollars to pay for the time required to develop and maintain such a package
on a full-time basis.  Besides, the learning curve would be huge and my hair
is already totally gray! So, document what you find, post solutions and
that's about the best you can do.
Rick USA