Fw: Researchers Develop Adaptive Technology for Visually Impaired Engineers

Sorry for the cross post, but this sounded interesting.
--le

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lloyd Rasmussen" <lras@xxxxxxx>
To: <gui-talk@xxxxxxxxxx>; <nfbcs@xxxxxxxxxx>; <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 9:34 AM
Subject: [gui-talk] Fwd: [UACCESS-L] Researchers Develop Adaptive Technology
for Visually Impaired Engineers

An interesting project which may have applications beyond chemical
engineering.  Contact information is near the end of the message.

>From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: uaccess-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [UACCESS-L] Researchers Develop Adaptive Technology for Visually
>Impaired Engineers
>Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:36:36 -0500
>
>I do not know anything about this other than the article - but thought it
>would be of wide interest.
>

>Gregg
>  -- ------------------------------
>Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
>

>*Researchers Develop Adaptive Technology for Visually Impaired Engineers*
>
>FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. - By adding features to commonly used
>chemical-engineering software packages, researchers at the University of
>Arkansas, the University of Akron and Chemstations Inc. have developed
>adaptive technology that allows blind or visually impaired students and
>working professionals to perform the essential functions of
>chemical-engineering process design.
>
>Led by Bob Beitle, professor of chemical engineering in the College of
>Engineering at the University of Arkansas, the research team created a
>system that combines tactile, Braille-like representations that can be
>"read" by visually impaired chemical engineers. The system also includes
>an audio, screen-reading component and audible indicators of certain
>software functions. Researchers have also overcome a major obstacle
>associated with the user function of dragging and dropping or copying and
>pasting. A tablet computer with a customized overlay, a tablet pen
>functioning as a computer mouse, and alignment holes mapped to the tactile
>objects help facilitate the drag-and-drop function, which is the method
>that connects unit operations.
>
>"We are far enough into this project for me say that we have significantly
>minimized the differences between visually impaired and sighted engineers
>who do process design," Beitle said. "While we haven't eliminated all
>differences, we have reached a point where a blind chemical engineer can
>conduct himself as any engineer by manipulating process-engineering
>software to achieve improvements or investigate alternatives."
>
>The system has been extensively tested at a process-engineering firm by
>Noel Romey, a graduate student in the Ralph E. Martin Department of
>Chemical Engineering. Romey, who has been blind since birth, came to the
>university to study chemical engineering. Since May, he has tested the
>system by simulating and designing various chemical facilities. The
>extensive designs are used by clients of the design firm to improve
>manufacturing systems.
>
>The teaching and practice of chemical-engineering design traditionally has
>had a strong visual component due to many visual tools that describe
>concepts and processes. This reality, combined with the fact that
>industry-specific software does not include any adaptive-technology
>features, means that professors and engineering professionals have little
> [...]

Lloyd Rasmussen, Acting Head, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.