Re: Fruit basket program in Boo, Other Script Langs

Hi Jamal,
I'd have to learn Groovy first to be able to use that. ANother
interesting candidate is of course Jython. I know bits of Python and
Java all right, so combining the two feels kinda nice. I mean Swing is
nice for building GUis, as far as layout goes, yet PYthon has the Perl
like data structures as part of the core language.

The major weakness in langs like Jython is that they are not up to date.
It is still the PYthon 2.2 release, I think. Yup, I've heard that
integrating the dynamically typed langs like Python and Perl in the .NET
environment has been non-trivial.

I read bits of a book that mentioned this,

Watkins, Hammond and Abrams. 2002. Programming in the .NET Environment

In the appendices they go onto describe how hard it was in Perl, Python
etc... I think one problem is dynamic typing, .NEt is still mostly an
environment for strongly, statically typed and rather Java-like langs.
Another thing is that libs are a core part of Perl and if they cannot
easily be used from .NET, the language really does lose a lot. Yet
another thing is that you still need the Perl compiler to make sense of
Perl, so you cannot just compile everything to MSIL and then run it all.
Evil is one thing,but some Perl disambiguations also depend on runtime
behavior, I think. As a result performance suffers.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila