Re: Freely Available Ruby Book

I've done a good chunk of ruby programming, but not much python, so I can't
compare. I can, however, say that Ruby is a love/hate relationship. There
are neat little features (e.g., closures), but in my opinion, there's so
much syntactic sugar, that the language itself can be pretty painful to use
at times (e.g., the splat operator). Ruby on Rails, for example, is hailed
as some ultra simple web library. In my view, however, there's so many
"hidden" rules, pulling largely from the aspect-oriented language community,
that writing a simple piece of code can make you bang your head against the
wall (e.g., complex routing rules).

Just my two cents, lots of folks like Ruby fine, but as a professor
specializing in human factors of compilers, I can't imagine the language
would do well in empirical studies on humans. In other languages, you can do
the same things in such a way that you don't have to re-arrange your brain
to know what the code is doing.

Stefik