Fix for console mode Ruby

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:23:51 -0400

 Ruby for Windows
http://RubyInstaller.org

has a console and GUI mode version of the interpreter, ruby.exe and rubyw.exe, respectively. Due to an apparent JAWS bug, the console version locks up when run with JAWS at a command prompt. This does not happen with Window-Eyes or NVDA.

I found a work-around by running a batch file instead of the executable directly. It is called rubyc.bat (a suffix of c as opposed to w). The content is simply the following:

@echo off
ruby.exe %*

You can copy rubyc.bat to the same bin subdirectory where ruby.exe, rubyw.exe, irb.bat, and gem.bat reside. I have now also included the file in the archive of the Ruby fruit basket program
http://EmpowermentZone.com/rb_fruit.zip

If anyone figures out a way to fix JAWS so this is not necessary, I am still interested in that, too.