Re: FLOS manuals

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:42:16 -0400

Somewhat confused. Since VoiceOver is on every Mac, couldn't you FTP them yourself over to Inthane (the instructions he posted were pretty specific, but I'm sure he would have answered questions). Or, couldn't a service like SendSpace be used for sending a large archive? It seems counterproductive for Inthane to have to individually separate each attachment from an email, and then recombine them into a larger archive for posting on the web.

Also, since GNU has announced the accessibility initiative, isn't there anyone in the web site support operation there who can put up a page for your project? In fact, it makes some sense for the collection of accessible FLOS manuals to be available from there as well as other places. This would show that GNU is taking concrete steps toward accessibility.

Chris, I think we all want the GNU accessibility initiative to succeed, but the offer of making existing manuals easily and accessibly available has remained unfulfilled for weeks .... I think it is important for any new initiative to care about first impressions as this effects credibility and cooperation going forward.

Jamal

On 5/19/2010 11:46 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:
Hi,

Susan got a bit confused on how to use ftp on her Macintosh so she
emailed .zip files of each manual to the Elf. He now has all but one
which is, if I remember correctly, about some sort of graphics editing
which was too big to send as an attachment. We didn't feel that this
last one was needed in a real hurry for our audience so Susan and Elf
will figure something out to get it to you guys but not with any sense
of urgency.

The GNU Accessibility Initiative does not yet have a web page. I've been
slammed with a lot of really interesting but very time consuming tasks,
including the eternally boring 508/255 refresh public commentary. I
think we'll probably have the accessibility corner of the GNU blog and
wiki up before a more comprehensive web site.

We are starting to gather some really great volunteers and are finding
some funding for very interesting projects in other parts of the world.
Unfortunately, on the support stuff like web pages and the like, I'm
pretty much alone and need to pick my priorities carefully.

We just added a really cool project in Nepal that Sina uncovered and we
just a very interesting conversation started with a group in Brazil so
we're active but struggling to communicate properly for now.

HH,
cdh

On 05/19/2010 08:01 AM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:
Checking again whether an archive of FLOS manuals has been made
available at a public URL.

Also, does the GNU accessibility initiative have a web page?