Emacspeak with voxin / alsa buffer underruns.

  • From: Dave <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:54:49 -0700

Hey list,

Curious if anyone has run into this issue.  I'm getting silence when
attempting to navigate by character in emacspeak using the
linux-outloud speech server.  This only occurs for specific characters
and more frustratingly only reproduces when navigating in a specific
direction.

I'm guessing the bug lies somewhere within the server implementation
when coupled with my sound hardware and based on the fact that I'm
using VMWare Player.  I suspect there's a buffer underrun occurring
from reading the PCM interface documentation.  But, I've not touched
low-level audio libraries to any extent.  I could fiddle with some of
the hw param settings (buffer size/time, etc.), but it looks
non-trivial since alsa has a complex n-dimensional configuration space
which restricts the available setting based on hardware.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?