Re: Emacspeak on Mac

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 17:44:15 +0200

Thanks for this. Does it work on older, G4 Mac OSX 10.5 also?

On 5/6/2011 7:06 PM, Ken Perry wrote:
Emacspeak now works on Mac thanks to David.  I know he has posted here
before but I have just recently set it up on 3 machines with a bit of Davids
help so I thought I would post the steps.

first if you don't have Mac ports go to the following link and download the
one for your platform:

http://macports.org/install.php

sometimes Mac ports doesn't update your profile so you need to if it
doesn't.  You can check if it does just by typing port if it is there it
should give you some usage information.  If it doesn't work then you need to
edit your .bash_profile file and add this line

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

That will make mac ports work right.  After that follow these steps.

#install emacs
sudo port install emacs

#install subversion
sudo port install subversion

#get emacspeak repo from the  emacspeak trunk
svn co http://emacspeak.googlecode.com/svntrunk emacspeak

#change directories
cd emacspeak

#make the configure file
make config

#build emacspeak
make emacspeak

#install emacspeak
sudo make install

#add this line to your bash_profile
export DTK_PROGRAM=mac

Now close your terminal and relog in your all done run emacspeak.

thanks goes to David and everyone else in getting this to work.  I know more
changes are coming but this works great.

Ken

Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998
Skype: cornelis.roos