Drupal

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:51:16 -0500

Hi Everett: I have done a little poking around google to look at some Drupal
sites. I find many, many with very rough interfaces when using a screen reader
and some that you could not tell from a custom website - really nicely laid
out. Most of the Government sites were pretty nice and straight forward.
If I want to build or modify templates, views and third party modules would I
need the PHP development stuff on my local machine or do the Drupal Hosts allow
for that level of programming by the nature of Drupal itself?
Most of the sites I have looked at that are demos displayed by some of the
hosts I have looked at re not very clean with a screen reader. Duplicat links
like having a link labeled HOME and then right after the link having a List
with one link in the LIst labeled HOME. Of course the Screen reader reads the
Home Link then something like List 1 with 1 item and then  cursoring down you
get the HOME link, the second HOME link, again and then the notification that
you are at the end of the list. I notice this type of duplication allot in
Drupal sites but not in all of them. This would be the type of thing  I would
want to get rid of so my sites look like normal, hand coded, websites and not
canned webpages. Anyway, Can I make the programming mods necessary online or
would I need a local development environment to work with the MySql DB stuff,
the PHP and whatever else might be involved.
Thanks:
Rick USA