Re: Debugging EdSharp and NVDA problem on Win64

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:31:45 -0500 (EST)

Thanks, Alex! So did EdSharp32.exe work the best with NVDA? Did it work normally until you tried to close EdSharp? Does JAWS work with all three versions or just some of them?

Jamal

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:24:13 -0500
From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Debugging EdSharp and NVDA problem on Win64

About boxes:
32-bit:
---------------------------
About
---------------------------
EdSharp 3.3

February 9, 2011

Copyright 2007 - 2011 by Jamal Mazrui

GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

The executable contains only Microsoft intermediate language (MSIL),
and is therefore neutral with respect to 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.

The executable can be run on a 32-bit platform, or in the 32-bit
Windows on Windows (WOW) environment on a 64-bit platform.

Targets a 32-bit Intel processor.

Running in 32-bit mode.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
When I tried to close the program, I got an error, but the "copy to
clipboard" button caused the program to become unresponsive, then it
went away and I was back in the list of edSharp files with no error
report on my clipboard. This was with jaws, so there should not have
been a problem with nvda dll files (which are still renamed to force
edsharp to use the 64-bit dll as the 32-bit).

64-bit:
---------------------------
About
---------------------------
EdSharp 3.3

February 9, 2011

Copyright 2007 - 2011 by Jamal Mazrui

GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

The executable contains only Microsoft intermediate language (MSIL),
and is therefore neutral with respect to 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.

The executable requires a 64-bit platform.

Targets a 64-bit AMD processor.

Running in 64-bit mode.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
This exited normally.

Default File (no bit version specified):
---------------------------
About
---------------------------
EdSharp 3.3

February 9, 2011

Copyright 2007 - 2011 by Jamal Mazrui

GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL)

The executable contains only Microsoft intermediate language (MSIL),
and is therefore neutral with respect to 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.

Targets a 32-bit Intel processor.

Running in 64-bit mode.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
This also exited normally.

Ready for the weird part? I started up edsharp32.exe again, this time
having put the nvda dlls back to how they are supposed to be, and
everything worked perfectly with nvda running! I then repeated the
process with jaws running and got the same error, and inability to
capture said error, that I reported above. It seems that the 32-bit
version works until you try to close it, then it locks up for a moment
and quits.

I then did this in a command prompt:
cd "c:\program files (x86)\edsharp"
sayline.exe hello
I got an error:
SayLine.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click
OK to close the application.
OK

On 2/9/11, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Also, can you copy and paste the relevant About Box info for each EdSharp
version?

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 16:02:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks.  Can you also report on EdSharp32.exe and SayLine.exe?

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 15:59:14 -0500
From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I upgraded and ran whatever launches by default. As soon as I tried
opening a file from Explorer, I got an error, the one with the "mail
to developer", "copy to clipboard", and so on. As usual, doing
anything here caused a second error, and doing anything in that second
error exited back to the Explorer window.

I then manually launched the 64-bit program from the EdSharp folder in
c:\program files (x86). Using nvda, I hit alt-a and got the same
"unexpected event" dialog I always get. I shut down nvda, opened jaws,
and copied to clipboard. Here is what I got:

An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

Stack trace:
  at EdSharp.Win32.nvdaController_speakText(String sText)
  at EdSharp.Util.Say(Object oText, Boolean bGlobal)
  at EdSharp.MdiFrame.SetStatusAddress(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at EdSharp.MdiFrame.menuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs
e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
  at EdSharp.MdiFrame.ProcessCmdKey_Helper(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
  at EdSharp.HomerRichTextBox.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)
  at
System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control
target, Message& msg)
  at
System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG&
msg)

Finally, I renamed the 32-bit nvda controller dll with an underscore
so edSharp would not find it, then renamed the 64-bit one to match the
old name of the 32-bit one. This time, when I re-launched the 64-bit
version of edsharp, I got no errors. However, edSharp defaulted to
sapi5 instead of using nvda speech. Since all I have is Anna, this is
not an optimal solution. At least things do not crash, though.

On 2/9/11, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would like to resolve the problem of using NVDA with EdSharp on 64-bit
Windows.  Whatever the cause(s) of the present incompatibility, I hope
we
can collaborate to get to the bottom of it, and find a solution.

I have just posted a new EdSharp distribution at the usual address,
http://EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe

or press F11 to Elevate from an existing installation.

The About Box (Help/About or Alt+F1) has been enhanced to show
additional
information at the bottom.  It will say whether the EdSharp executable
requires 32-bit Windows, 64-bit Windows, or works on either.  If
targeted
to a particular platform, that CPU will be stated.  The current mode of
operation, 32 or 64-bit, will also be stated.  You can press Control+C
copy the contents of the message box to the clipboard.

EdSharp.exe is compiled to work on either 32 or 64-bit Windows.  Two
additional executables are currently included, EdSharp32.exe and
EdSharp64.exe, which require the indicated platform.

A simple way of testing NVDA compatibility is with the Address command,
Alt+A.  If NVDA does not work with EdSharp.exe, please try manually
launching EdSharp32.exe or EdSharp64.exe.

If neither of those work, try copying nvdaControllerClient64.dl over
nvdaControllerClient32.dll.

Also try one of the SayTools utilities that has been included,
SayLine.exe, e.g., with the command-line syntax

SayLine.exe Hello world

Please report your results.

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)