  From: Chris Hofstader
  To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 3:25 PM
  Subject: RE: Dang it!!

  The JAWS Speech and Sounds Manager, a cool feature, is covered by both US and
EU patent protection.  You can search for the US patent on the USPTO web site.
It names me and some others as inventors.  If you followed FS v. Serotek, in
the trademark dispute, you should tread lightly in areas for which they have
documented legal protection as, in both US and EU, you would be subject to
triple damages if found guilty of knowingly (which you have pronounced in your
last email) violated FS' patented intellectual property.

    From: jimpanes@xxxxxxxxx
    To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: Web Page Editor for the Blind
    Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:04:20 -0400

    Hi Dusty,

    JAWS has a speach and sounds manager. It allows any word that JAWS is
pronouncing to either be associated with a sound or use a sound to substitute
for a word.

    While this mechanism can be used to approximate the behavior of your web
page editor, it does not truly recognize the types of objects on the screen.

    I have made this adjustment in my dictionary manager so that I hear a harp
string instead of the word "link" a million times when I read a web page. This
one change alone has sped up my web access and made life much less annoying for
me.

    Using sounds in a way that does not interfere with the user hearing the
text may very well speed up access. Any improvement in this area is a welcome
change.

    Thanks for trying this idea. I'll give it a try.

    Regards,
    Jim
    jimpanes@xxxxxxxxx
    jimpanes@xxxxxxxxxxxx