DOS Batch File Question

I was attempting to help someone write a batch file to help configure VMware
Player to use a preconfigured Vinux Virtual Machine.  We want to modify the
%AppData%\VMware\preferences.ini file to set the hotkey combination to Alt +
Control + Shift.  To do this, I need the batch file to do two things.

1.  Delete  any lines that contain the word "hotkey" that are currently in the
file.  Two definitions are not permitted in this file.  There are other similar
lines that appear in this file, but only this line seems to be processed in the
newest versions of the software.

2.  Append a line at the bottom of the file to define the desired hotkey with
the command:
echo 'pref.hotkey.shift="true"' >> %AppData%\VMware\preferences.ini

Obviously, I know how to get the second task done.  Can anybody help me with
the first?  We would need it to work in XP, Vista and Windows 7.  In Linux, I
think a simple sed statement would do the trick, like
sed 'hotkey/d' ${AppData}/VMware/preferences.ini

I am just guessing at the above hypothetical syntax as well.  I have not
attempted anything like that in years.Does anybody know how to modify text
files in DOS?  I ran across 'munge', which could have accomplished this as long
as an additional definitions file was used.  I use the past tense since it has
not been around for a long time.  There must be some such capability to search
and destroy!  The 'FIND' command can locate the lines.  I want them deleted as
well.

Don Marang