Re: Creating an Operating System with speech included

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:01:47 +0200

Sorry, but I think you don't know what you are talking about.

First, I didn't say that Jaws is a Microsoft program. I said only that the best accessibility is offered by Windows and Jaws and not by Orca and Linux, but not even the comparison between these 2 is important, but the fact that it is very hard to create another OS with another screen reader built in.

Second, I know that Orca works with Linux, but Sun doesn't pretend that they've created the most advanced Linux OS, but that they've created Solaris, the most advanced OS. However, Solaris is not accessible for the blind, or it is accessible but only by using emacspeak, which has a very ugly interface and offers a poor accessibility anyway, and I haven't tested Solaris so I don't really know if it really supports emacspeak or it is just a future plan for Sun.

By the way, have anyone tried Solaris?

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>