Re: Creating an Operating System with speech included

  • From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:24:59 +0200

how you can see from
here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

the unix system is rewritten in C language since 1973.
But, first to ofer a unix version for microcomputers was Microsoft in 1980 (named xenix)
They fully ported unix on pcs in 1983 and integrated it until  1989.
Also a free version of unix was fonded in 1991 as bsd on 386 platform, the ancestor of free bsd. Also in early 90s novel bought the rights on unix and merged it with netware system resulting unix ware for pc-compatible platform.

on the other hand,
from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

we see that in 1987 Tanenbaum made his own copy of unix named minix, for wich a version existed for x86 platform.
But Linus Torvalds wanted a free copy of a unix like system.
same aim was at the base for gnu project since 1983 and in 1991 they joined their forces.

As you see, at the moment Linus Torvalds wanted to write his linux os there are cople of unix distribution on the market for x86 platform.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>