re: Creating an Operating System with speech included

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 17:15:17 -0500

That is a huge project. You may want to start with a Linux kernel and go from there. As I understand it, you have a kernel which has certain functions you can use, like printing text to the screen, getting keyboard input (or input from a file), runningcalculations, and so on. You use c (a language) to get access to these functions, and build from there. In this way you could get a basic kernel (in linux this gives you a command line interface) with speech, but of course you cannot just make a kernel talk with a "speak()" function, you have to build the entire speaking system, or use one that someone has already written. I want to do something similar, but probably will not, at least not for a while.

Have a great day,
Alex