From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Cox
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:14 PM
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Could we organize to mentor new blind coders?

This list is fantastic for helping coders with vision impairments.
This is where Ken introduced me to Sina, who more than anyone else
helped me down the path of dealing with central vision loss as a
coder.

However, we don't do any outreach, so far as I know.  What I'm
thinking of might be something like having a list of potential
mentors, and somehow trying to track down vision impaired people who
are good candidates for becoming coders, and seeing if we can match
them up.  Sort of like a Big Brothers organization of blind techies
with a mission of finding all those people who are good candidates,
and matching them with mentors.

Sina already has IAVIT.org, and there are probably other organizations
that we could work with.  Is there anything to this idea?  It's just
my typical dumb idea of the day, which for some reason always sound
good to me the day I come up with it.

Bill