Re: Control size

  • From: "Geoff Smith" <gc.smith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:25:51 +0100

Hello Darko,

This is very much a personal thing. There are two ways of arranging the
controls on your form.

My personal preference is: TAB to the control you want to move.
2. Hold down the control key and press the up or down cursor key or, the left
and right cursor key once, twice or as many times as you wish, till you have
reached the position you want.

You will hear the co-ordinances changing as the control moves up or down or
across the grid. If the control moved to a position where it is free and clear
of the other controls there won't be any announcement to say that it is lying
on top of anything else.

To change the size of the control first place the cursor on the control and
then press the down cursor key to change the depth, top to bottom; or, right
cursor key to increase the width.

Press the up cursor key if you want to decrease the size top to bottom or, left
cursor key if you want to shorten your control.

To answer your second question, how to place the label control with the textbox
controls.

1. Move the label control to the grid position you want.
2. TAB to the textbox control and start moving the textbox with the ctrl key
and the cursor keys until you hear your screen reader announce that the textbox
control is touching the label control.

This works for me, providing I haven't created any arrays before I've placed my
controls on the form. Once I've created an array, I find that Jaws doesn't
announce whether one control lies over another, it only seems to announce the
grid position.
I prefer the labels to be to the left of any textbox, therefore, the left
border of the Textbox should only just touch the right border of the label
control. If you move the Textbox one position using your CTRL and right cursor
and there is no announcement, then move back one grid line and there is the
announcement of the Textbox touching the right border of the label ctrl, then
you've arrived.

I'm assuming you are using Jaws? If you are using an alternitive screen reader,
I can't predict the screen reader's announcements. It works for me.

HTH.

Geoff,
Email: gc.smith@xxxxxxxxxx