RE: Concern about the latest Window Eyes scripting move

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:26:51 -0800

 Well this is true depending on how they did it.  For example they can limit
the objects a person can use no matter the language so if I only allow you
to use System and System.Windows.Forms then that is it.  They most likely
did not limit people so what will have to happen is people will either have
to reject any scripts that are not open source or we will have to have a
page to go to where tested and approved scripts are.

I think this is going to cause other problems as well.  It sounds great that
you can code in any language but the problem with being able to code in
anything is there will not be any one support for the scripting language.
Think of how much trouble people are having coding Jaws scripts when they
get started.  Now they have added the decision of which language and made it
so you don't have one unified group to help you access the objects they give
you.  True that if you know a language and know how to use com in that
language it is a simple reading of the objects Window-eyes provides but most
scripts are not wrote by professional coders they are wrote by people who
need to be able to use a program that doesn't work.  Now it will take more
for these people to find support in what ever they choose to use if they can
find support.  It will be interesting to see how they support their
scripting.

If I was them I would say that GW micro as a whole supports VB and C# but
you can code in anything.  Then they should put up a page that takes just
those two languages and supports them as well as they can.  Further more
they should force authors of the code to submit the code if they want the
scripts on their page.  This would allow people to still sell scripts they
just couldn't have it up on GW's page.

Ken