Re: Cognos Accessibility with JAWS

  • From: "Brent Neal" <bneal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:20:14 -0600

I believe that it is just 1 large window that is set up in 3 sections for the
sighted user.  The middle section is not recognized by JAWS.  When a sighted
user watches me try to find it JAWS just skips it weather I am using the
virtual pc cursor or the JAWS cursor.  Also the 3 icons I need cannot be found
with JAWS.  I had the sighted person who is helping me click on them with the
mouse then JAWS allowed me to label them with the graphics labeler but it will
not read those labels and I cannot find them without a sighted person using the
mouse to get to them.

Brent Neal
140 E 300 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Programmer
Phone:  801.526.9797
Email:  bneal@xxxxxxxx

>>> Jim Bauer <holdsworthfan@xxxxxx> 9/23/2009 12:39 PM >>>
Alas, I know nothing of Cognos itself, though I'll write anyway with a
couple *helpful* bits about your problem(s):

I'm sure Geoff C is composing a thesis extolling the virtues of
Hotspot Clicker, so I'll beat him to it. <grin>. Any time you're
talking about coordinate-based positioning in areas that have the
potential for going dynamic, it's definitely the easiest, most
customizable option.

Are the sectioned-off elements you seek actual windows or just
"chunks" of information written to one large window that represents
the screen area?

P.S. If you're unaware, Hotspot Clicker can be found at
http://www.hotspotclicker.org
"Brent Neal" <bneal@xxxxxxxx> wrote on Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:25:21
-0600: