Re: C++ and I are getting divorced.

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:42:50 -0600

Sure, if you wanted to go that far. But c or c++ or even assembly if you wanted to go that low would teach you more. Learning machine language is kind of pointless at the moment, because I can't think of any applications where it is used. I could be wrong, but I'd assume asm is the lowest you'd have to go.

IMO, a low level language like c or c++ lets you understand what is going on. Garbage collection and all the new languages are great, but you'd be able to use them much more efficiently if you were able to understand how things worked, rather than just accepting the fact that they do work. While reading about what goes on under the hood gives you some understanding to a certain degree, actually getting your hands dirty and playing with it seems to be the best solution to me. But we all have our views. My origenal intent was to keep Jess from giving up and to keep going.