Re: C++ and I are getting divorced.

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:38:23 -0400

But how far do you take that idea? If you learn the stuff that C++ makes you think about, why not take that to learning Assembly? And then the basic ideas behind machine code? I would not have wanted to be thinking about those things when I was 13 and hacking together battle engines in Basic, but I sure am glad having spent a semester in college learning those things. It might not always be optimal to learn something from a bottom up approach, more or less.

On 07/27/2010 03:24 PM, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
Sure it's not needed, but you learn more of what your doing. Rather than
creating an a

rray of 4096 bytes so you don't have to check for lengths and cramming it in,
you learn where that array goes. The person may not be the most aware
programmer even still, but it does kind of help with some of that.
                Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
        http://tds-solutions.net
        Twitter: sorressean

On Jul 27, 2010, at 1:22 PM, Jared Wright wrote:

I understand this prospective and started myself  on C++,  but think there is a
certain mindset that benefits from learning certain auxiliary features later if
possible. Think of it like a video game: the video game only teaches you the
gameplay elements   that you  need to progress  to the next level and teaches
you more advanced concepts when a need for their understanding arises. I think
it's no secret that we learn faster and in more useful ways in a video game
setting than in the more traditional  academia computer science and so many
other fields force down students' throats.

   Additionally, C++ is less  used now for   basic end user applications like
those you start programming with anyway. I think something like Perl or Python
is both a better initial launchpad as well as more practical in the industry
moving forward. You don't even really HAVE  to learn C++ now, learning C# is
almost more important. Yes you learn more about deep programming concepts
learning with it, but follow  that logic and you  should learn in machine code,
no? Even ten years ago C++ was such a common language for so many types of
programs. WE didn't have the nice scripting language  wrappers for low level
functions that we enjoy  now.  It made   sense to learn it out of the gate,
because it probably wasn't going to be too long before you truly needed to
write something real in C++. Now its uses are more specialized, (and I'm
talking relative to C++ ten years ago here) and I think this somewhat
jeopardizes it as a good starting language. Just my thoughts, of course.

On 07/27/2010 12:46 PM, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
Why something "forgivving," though? IMO it's much easier to learn with
something strict and move to other languages; not only will you code  better, but you
will understand more about what's going on, rather than just accept the fact that it does
what you want however you may write it.
                Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
        http://tds-solutions.net
        Twitter: sorressean

On Jul 27, 2010, at 8:16 AM, Alex Hall wrote:

JS because it is, as I said, quite forgiving, and it lets you practice
basics like looping and conditions without needing to worry about data
types or managing projects in a massive IDE. I do not recommend giving
up completely, rather, use another language to pin down the basics,
get good at that language, then come back to cpp to continue learning
it now that you have the concepts of OOP in your mind.

On 7/27/10, Tyler Littlefield<tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

javascript? Seriously? python was a good solution though, you just need to
get used to indentation. Better to keep slogging along with cpp than to
switch half way through, because essentially your just giving up on
something.
                Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
        http://tds-solutions.net
        Twitter: sorressean

On Jul 27, 2010, at 8:09 AM, Alex Hall wrote:

If you want to try programming, I recommend either Javascript (a web
language, but it is forgiving and easy to understand) or Python, which
is, in my opinion, a lot easier than cpp. I definitely do not
recommend giving up. As Tyler said, everyone who learns to program has
a rough time of it at first, but eventually you get better and learn
from past mistakes, and learning one language that you find you like a
lot will help you learn other languages in the future, since they all
have the underlying principles of looping, conditions, functions, and
so on, though they all implement these in different ways.

On 7/27/10, Tyler Littlefield<tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:

I guess, there is a better analogy. Nothing comes to you easy; you need
crawl before you walk, walk before you run. Look at it like playing an
instrument. You don't just sit down and pick up a complex song in 5
minutes.
Something that may help you is to go go look at code that does what you
want. Google for like "c++ elseif" and see what pops up.
                Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
        http://tds-solutions.net
        Twitter: sorressean

On Jul 27, 2010, at 7:55 AM, Tyler Littlefield wrote:

If  you want to give up after the first few syntax errors, go for it.
Otherwise, keep working, your going through what everyone who learns c++
did, and you'll get it.
                Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
        http://tds-solutions.net
        Twitter: sorressean

On Jul 27, 2010, at 7:52 AM, Jes wrote:

Lol thought I'd put a humorous subject in there to try and lift my
spirits a little bit. I've been working on a project for five days
straight, sacrificing sleep and other stuff to get the stupid thing
done,
and I've decided that while I like programming, C++ is a bit to
complicated for me at this point. I am a musician, so after I get this
beast of an assignment done, I'm divorcing C++ and moving back to music
for a bit. Audio editors and sequencers all do whatever  I tell them
too,
they don't bitch at me like M S Visual Studio or GCC.
As the average pc user declares, "They, just, work. "
Grin. I won't be able to make anything more than simple programs, no
matter how much I like programming.

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap