C# Question

Hi,

I have a class which, for purposes of illustration, I'll call MyClass.  I
want to declare a two dimensional array of this class so I can have a set of
rows and columns within.  I don't know the ultimate size of the array so I
declare it with empty brackets.

For instance:

MyArray[][] dataTable;  // This compiles without error

but, in the code, if I state:

dataTable[0][0] = new MyClass();

I get an exception about a NULL assignment when the code is executed.

I had thought that .Net arrays declared without the "fixed" keyword would
grow dynamically and that the Array type overloaded the brackets to ensure
the sort of exception I'm getting doesn't happen.

Obviously, I'm doing something quite wrong but I'm having trouble finding
examples of C# arrays of anything more complex than int or String.

Please help.

Thanks,
cdh

Chris Hofstader