Re: C++ Compilers for Windows, and a Good Book

  • From: Øyvind Lode <oyvind.lode@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:14:33 +0100

Nope! Open Watcom supports Windows.
In fact I have the latest version (v1.9) installed here on my Windows 7 machine but I haven't tried it yet though.

But good old Watcom was a DOS only compiler.

On 16.12.2010 19:30, Alex Midence wrote:
Thought Watcom was just for Dos like Digital Mars.

Alex M

On 12/16/10, Øyvind Lode<oyvind.lode@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
What about Open Watcom C/C++ compiler?

I've not tried it my self yet though.
But Watcom was a very well know C compiler and I guess it's still popular.

Personally I use GCC for my C programming studies.
But I plan to look at other compilers when I know more about C.

Open Watcom homepage:
http://www.openwatcom.org

On 16.12.2010 15:48, Alex Midence wrote:
The only other compiler I have used for c++ in windows has been the
cl.exe compiler that comes with visual studio.  I've found it to do
quite well.   YOu just have to run a batch file in the bin
subidrectory to make it work in command line.  As for books.  Here's
the one I decided on:

http://www.deitel.com/Books/C/CHowtoProgram7e/tabid/3472/Default.aspx

Thing is, I'm using the 6th edition.  I got it from Recordings for the
blind and Dislexic:

http://www.rfbd.org

I don't know if this service is available to you where you are or if
they have some provision for people who have access to other
libraries.  I've found it to be a nice book.  I like the early
introduction of classes and the case study.  You build an automatic
teller machine which is kind of a neat concept because the idea of
embedded programming is made to float around the back of your mind
from the get-go.   I'm still in the early part of it.  I know I'd said
I was going to leave c++ for python for a while but I just didn't feel
right..  This book is nice because it's designed for a college course
and not to make high sales.  The only caviat I will give you is that I
think the sixth edition is more standards compliant.  Reading the
authors' description of what they did in the seventh edition made me
worry since they introduce conventions other programmers will probably
frown upon quite ferociously.  The biggest of these is the elimination
of return 0 at the end of many programs based on the assumption that
if a program doesn't return anything specified, it returns 0.  The one
time I did that, my compiler complained.  The other is putting using
namespace std as the second line instead of listing all the parts of
the standard library you intend to use:

using std::cout
using std::cin
using std::string

And so forth.  It's a compromise form using std::cout, std::string
every time you have to use them.

thanks.

Alex M

On 12/16/10, Kerneels Roos<kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
Hi list,

Apart from the MinGW suite and Cygwin that both provide GCC , are there
any other compilers for C++ that you guys can recommend -- including
commercial ones -- for Windows?

Last week I read a few chapters from the classic Thinking in C++ book
available from www.mindview.com, and I was reminded again what an
excellent language C++ still is. The book is really very good and
comprises 2 volumes covering a lot of ground.  C++ is not a simple
language, with many, many features you can shoot yourself in the foot
with, but that is the price of power, execution speed and flexibility,
and maintaining compatibility with C (part of the design objectives of
the language).

Most of us will probably not code business applications in C++, but I
would encourage any serious programmer to study it to gain a deeper
understanding of how Java and C# solves many of the difficult areas of
C++ programming. If you fully understand the language and all it's
features I think you might be able to code amazing applications and
API's that will run fast and efficient. You will also be able to
appreciate the contribution that more modern languages have made to the
world of programming.

It will be very interesting to see what the future holds for C++. From
what I can understand there seems to be an effort underway to establish
a new standard for the language code named 0X.
Regards.

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998

"If one has the talent it pushes for utterance and torments one; it will
out; and then one is out with it without questioning. And, look you,
there
is nothing in this thing of learning out of books. Here, here and here
(pointing to his ear, his head and his heart) is your school. If
everything
is right there, then take your pen and down with it; afterward ask the
opinion of a man who knows his business."

(To a musically talented boy who asked Mozart how one might learn to
compose.)