Re: C++ Compilers

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:02:41 -0500

Try MinGw:

http://www.mingw.org/

Or, you can get Code Blocks which is an IDE that bundles a copy of gcc
with itself along with the gnu debugger:

http://www.codeblocks.org/

Note:  You want Code Blocks 10.05 since prior versions worked poorly
with screen readers.  Navigate menus using control tab, use console
application as your project type, alt-g pulls up a file list that you
then select main.cpp from, f9 compiles and runs and that's about all
you need to learn to get started.  For the rest, just tinker.

If you are just starting out with c++ I would recommend staying away
from visual studio since it has some quirks that can be very
frustrating to beginners.  For instance, to get standard code to
compile, you have to create a general project or, if you create a
console application, you have to include the header file stafx.h in
your program.  This is not a standard approach.    To compile from
command line you have to run a batch file tucked away inside the bin
directory of the application and then you type cl yourfile.cpp.  Then,
you have to go back and delete the obj file.  With gcc (mingw) you
don't have to do any such thing.

To answer your second question, you can use the notepad and command
line approach but you still have to have a compiler.  To do this, you
are probably going to want to go with gcc since you don't have to run
any batch files to get the compiler to work from the command prompt.

Just download the exe file from mingw.org and then add c:\mingw\bin to
your path so all you have to do to compile is type

g++ yourfile.cpp -o yourfile.exe

hth,
Alex M