RE: Blind Programmers

  • From: "Cowle, Jodi" <JCowle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:06:04 -0500

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your information.

As for Progress:
I have found that it really depends upon how the Progress applications are
written.  We started with Progress Version 6, and most of our apps were written
then.  So even though we migrated to V7, 8, and 9 most of our apps are based on
V6, which is non-gui.  They have been mostly accessible to me.  It helps to
look at the code to find out what some of them are doing.  We purchased some
tools created in Progress to make the various apps similar, and I found them
difficult to navigate.  The developer of the tools used Pprogress code to
simulate objects.

I wrote one app in V7 with objects, mostly buttons.  The logic was quite
different, as it was event-driven.  I could access that, but I wrote it myself
and it was quite simple.
Then when V8 came along it had something they called an AppBuilder which
included objects, smart objects, a section editor, and perhaps more things I'm
forgetting.  I found all of this hard to use, and the couple applications we
have developed with these smart objects I have not been able to navigate.
Fortunately for me, we only have one I can think of for Health Referrals.  We
took a class in V8 programming several years ago, and the system was written
recently, so it may not be a good example in that the developer of that app had
to try to remember how to use the environment, and this was quickly written.

I use JAWS, and found the tooltips somewhat helpful in dealing with the smart
objects; but this was having to do with using them to create applications in
that long ago class..

So, if your applications are written with smart objects I don't know much about
this.  Some scripting may help.

Let me know if I can give you further information that would be of help.

Thanks.

Jodi

Jodi Cowle
City of Madison, Information Technology