Re: Blind Programmers

  • From: Øyvind Lode <oyvind.lode@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:29:09 +0200

Hi:

Please keep the discussion on list.
I might learn something of it :)
Personally I've just started out programming as a hobby.

I'm programming in C.
Using EdSharp as my text editor of choice on Windows and Emacs on Linux.
I use Cygwin and MinGW with GCC as the compiler on Windows.
I've also looked at Open Watcom but not compiled code with it yet.
On Linux I'm using GCC (of course).

On 27.09.2010 21:58, Cowle, Jodi wrote:
Hi,

I am a blind programmer for the City of Madison, Wisconsin.  Currently I
program in Progress - which most people haven't heard of.  I started out using
COBOL in 1985 on a mainframe.  Then I programmed in LINC for several years.
Our applications are now developed on PC's with Windows XP OS and spread over
various servers.

I use JAWS as my primary screen reader, and am slowly trying to learn and use
Window-Eyes.

Over the years my IT department has changed direction.  We no longer develop
systems in one language and database environment.  We mostly help agencies of
the city select packages rather than develop applications for them.  I still
work on old Progress applications, but they are slowly going away.  A while ago
I created a list of things I'd learned from reading these lists - what people
were working with, etc.  But this is outdated.

I am trying to find a place to stay busy and useful in my department, and also
get back some work hours I gave up after my baby was born.
The programming environment is always changing, and is very different from the
way it was when I started working here.
Hence, my appeal.
Would some blind programmers be willing to write to me off list and let me know
what programming languages and development tools you use?  I'd also be
interested in the screen reader or screen readers you use.  This would help me
with my meeting with management.

I appreciate any input you are willing to give me.

Thank you.

Jodi

Jodi Cowle
Information Technology